Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tell a Nickname Your Family Gave You and How You Got It

Okay, so I guess I'm supposed to limit this to nicknames that family members gave me, so there are really only four:

Punky- My dad called me this when I was an itty bitty baby. He told my mom he wanted to write a book about their life with me after waiting for a baby for five years and they book would called Orbiting Punky (espsially clever regarding his interest in and love of Space).

Doodie- I used to be SO embarassed by this one. My parents started calling me this because I was so active and was always busy "doing", i.e. getting into stuff. They neither one associated the fact that it can have a "poopie" conotation as well. I really didn't fully get over it until I met my best friend in college who actually did call her aunt "Poopie". Ha!

Sarah D.- My sister used to call me this because "Sarah Denley" is kind of hard when you are first learning to talk. Interestingly, several of my friends in college ended up calling me Sarah D. as well.

Honey Bunch- this was what my grandmother, Bump, called me and Cookie. It was a term of affection that I just loved and love to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment